Minnetonka’s Gold Nugget Celebrates 5 Years Back in the Community
Minnetonka staple, and frequently voted as best burgers in the Twin Cities, Gold Nugget Tavern & Grille is celebrating its rebirth and return to the community later this month.
According to the Sun Sailor, a roadside tavern opened at the site in 1920, but exactly when is unclear, as the building pre-dates records. In the mid-’70s, Doug Carlson bought the established burger joint—which had several names over the years—and renamed it The Gold Nugget. The restaurant closed in 2006 due to a redevelopment project in the Glen Lake area of Minnetonka, but reopened three years later in an expanded and remodeled building that included antique features from the original restaurant, the newspaper reported.
“It went from being a 50-seat restaurant to a 220-seat restaurant,” Kris Newcomer, one of three Gold Nugget co-owners, told the Sun Sailor.
The restaurant’s fifth anniversary of its reopen is May 31. Gold Nugget is located at 14401 Excelsior Blvd. in Minnetonka.
- Ridgedale YMCA to Hold Senior Health, Resource Fair
- Nonprofit Opens to Support Those Living With Cancer
- Easy and Inexpensive Upgrades to Sell or Improve Your Home
- Warmer Weather Means A Hotter Minnetonka Real Estate Market
- Where Wildlife Meets the City – Clarion Hills by Ron Clark