Historical Society Now Offers Free Guided Tours of Castle Rock
Beginning at the Courtyard at Perry Street, the Castle Rock Historical Society and Museum is hosting walking/biking tours of downtown. This Saturday is the first of many more guided paths throughout the historic city. Located at 420 Elbert Street, this is an active way to learn about the community.
Built in 1875, the once small depot was located where the Rio Grande and Denver Railroads were active. The building was composed of Rhyolite stone, which is native to the area, and designed with the style of that period. Finely detailed corners and building eaves are still apparent today.
According to the Castle Rock Historical Society website, the Depot was moved from trackside to its present location in 1970, and was carefully restored by the society in 1996 for use as the history museum. The building still retains the original interior features such as the old ticket window and baggage area with 125 years of graffiti on its walls.
Tours start at 10:30 a.m. every Saturday through summer. They are professionally guided routes that last about 45 minutes and will conclude at the Castle Rock Museum.
Group tours are also available by reservation. Call or email the Castle Rock Museum at 303-814-3164, firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.castlerockmuseum.org to learn more about upcoming events in the Castle Rock.