Ahwatukee Teen Diagnosed With Diabetes is Giving Back
An Ahwatukee teen diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes is using her experience to give back to others.
According to the Ahwatukee Foothills News, Abby Herrin, 11, was diagnosed last year and during a lengthy stay at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, she received gifts and well-wishes from people she didn’t know. The kindness left a mark.
Now, Abby is paying the kindness forward by sewing pillows for kids just like her who have been admitted, the report said.
“I just wanted to start helping other children so I learned to sew and thought the pillows would be good for other kids,” she told the newspaper.
According to the report, Abby wants to make sure every child admitted with Type 1 diabetes at the hospital has a pillow they can choose from to hold and comfort them during their stay.
- Ahwatukee Couple’s Love for Their Dog Inspires Business Venture
- Sushi Nakano Offers Authentic Japanese Sushi in Ahwatukee
- Charity For Middle, High School Boys Thriving in Ahwatukee
- Ahwatukee’s First and Only Tattoo Shop Opens Doors
- Ahwatukee Ranks No. 4 on Niche’s ‘2018 Best Places to Raise a Family’ List
This local update courtesy of your Ahwatukee Community Expert.