Ahwatukee Senior Olympians Prepping for 2018 Games
The Winter Olympics in South Korea aren’t the only competitive games to be held this February.
According to the Ahwatukee Foothills News, seniors across Arizona, including here in Ahwatukee, are gearing up for the 2018 State Senior Olympics, which will be in venues across the Valley starting on Feb. 17 and running through March 11.
Residents ages 50-100 years of age can compete — just like Ahwatukee swimmer Gloria Tolaro, who at 86-years-old, specializes in the 50-yard freestyle, breaststroke and backstroke swim sprints, as well as 100, 200 and 500-meter freestyle and relays.
“Whether you medal or not, the fun and camaraderie of the event are equal rewards,” she told the newspaper.
The Senior Olympics features 31 sports, including track and field, tennis, golf, swimming, powerlifting and cycling, the report said, and it is an “open” meet, so Arizona residency is not required.
- Ahwatukee Woman’s Business Helps Connoisseurs With All Things Wine
- Ahwatukee Trio Providing Comfort to Grieving Parents with Special Gowns
- Yoasis Frozen Yogurt Gets New Owners
- Esperanza Elementary School Welcomes New Four-Legged Staff Member
- Club West Golf Course Has Taken on New Life
This local update courtesy of your Ahwatukee Community Expert.