Ahwatukee Girl Helping Abandoned Pets While She Battles Illness
An Ahwatukee girl who has spent months battling and recovering from a nasty infection is helping pets at a local shelter as way of getting her strength back.
According to the Ahwatukee Foothills News, Ava Elkins, a 13-year-old Altadena Middle School eighth-grader, has spent five months recovering from an infection she contracted while recovering from an appendectomy.
Now healthy, she’s volunteering at the Lost Our Home Cat Adoption Center’s Ahwatukee PetSmart Cat Center as a way to build up her strength to go back to school, the article said.
Not only did Ava start volunteering, but so did her older sister, Nina, a Desert Vista High School junior, and her mom, Alison, the article said.
- Andy’s Frozen Custard Opens Ahwatukee Location
- Dream Dinners Owners Celebrate 10 Years in Business
- Ahwatukee Renaissance Man Adds ‘Novelist’ to His Resume
- Ahwatukee Professor Looks to Help Homeless in Phoenix Area
- Ahwatukee Elementary Schoolers Make Pen-Pal Friends Through Literacy Program
This local update courtesy of your Ahwatukee Community Expert.